Saturday, May 19, 2012

Now is it Summer

On Wednesday I had my last final for the semester at Long Beach. With two finals on Tuesday night and one Wednesday afternoon, I had all my finals within 24 hours. The good news is I had strong grades in all three classes going into the finals. One of them was harder than I expected, but the professor admitted after he made it that it was harder than he intended it would be. Since it was a lot of multiple choice, I think I did well enough for an A.

I spent a lot of time preparing for my finals. I did a lot of practice problems and spend a lot of time at the library. This is in sharp contrast to when I made a Facebook album like I did my last year at Berkeley (see I should be studying for finals).

Now summer is upon me. I want to make the most of it.

These are three of my priorities for the summer.
  • Turning my volunteer worker position with the City of LA into an internship. I will go there two or three times a week and treat it like an internship. I will also work on a few specific projects I can talk about when I apply for a real internship next summer or a job. Right now they want me to design and build a solar turbine and figure out how a dual compound spraying machine works.
  • Upgrading my amateur radio license. After working with radio stuff for the Baker to Vegas race, I am inspired to take a couple of tests and get the highest level of radio license I can from the FCC. I currently have a technician class license, which has only basic frequency privileges. All I have to do is learn some things and take two multiple choice tests.
  • Do something different and fun every week. There are a lot of things to do around Orange County and into LA I have never looked into. I want to combine this with seeing people I do not see as often as I would like. This is also where you can get involved. If you are nearby and want to go somewhere or do something, let me know.

Some of my drink recipes have mentioned sour mix (or sweet and sour mix, which are the same thing). While there are many premade mixes available, the one below is what I make and use myself. Since I recently learned of a reader who made a drink that required sour mix, I am sharing a recipe.

Sour Mix
(short for sweet and sour mix)

18 oz water
12 oz Real Lemon lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar

Mix the above ingredients and keep in the fridge. Real Lemon brand is highly recommended, unless you have a bunch of lemons. However, I do not have a largess of lemons lying around.

My mom found this recipe online, but I do not know where. Some person on the internet deserves credit for it.

4 comments:

  1. So, you don't need to heat up the mix to make the sugar dissolve properly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your strong class performances, and good luck with your internship goals. I hope to see you more over the summer. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not had problems with the sugar dissolving. I just stirred it in. I also keep it in a lemon juice bottle so I can shake the mix before using.

    I have to get all my Aden time in this summer before you go to New York.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's something else you can do: visit Chris and me in New York!

    ReplyDelete