Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer is supposed to be easier

When I finished classes for the semester last month, I thought things would calm down. However, they have only gotten busier. This story starts last week.

On Friday I woke up at 4:45 to go into LA for my volunteer job. I ended up helping someone cut medallions out of plastic on the laser engraver. I started working on the project in the late morning. There were a lot of issues with the file format, programs not reading the files correctly, and experimenting so the plastic would be engraved and cut correctly. By the time I did all of the testing, modified all of the files, and finally cut the pieces out of quarter inch plastic, it was 6 the next morning.

While I spent a long time getting everything correct, I gained useful experience. The other day my supervisor told me one of the other volunteers was interviewing for a job. After he explained his work with the laser printer and the process used, they offered him a job on the spot. The company needed someone to run their machine and produce parts for a military contract.

On Saturday I helped set up tables at church for a ministry fair. On Sunday I worked almost four hours at the fair and tried to recruit a few people for our upcoming retreat. We got several people interested and are very pleased.

On Tuesday I lined a case for a sound board with foam for Peter. This way he can safely transport it to different concert venues. On Wednesday morning I went to a meeting where I helped Peter run the sound system for a band.

Then on Wednesday night I was at a speaking event put on by the OC Cal Alumni. It was a great talk by the executive vice chancellor and provost.

I would have gone into LA today, but at 2:30 this morning I woke up feeling very sick. However, I am all better now.

Every week I have retreat meetings at church. I am the Spiritual Director for the retreat, which is a big job. According to the other people, I am doing a great job. The deacon is telling everyone how great I am at it. In addition, I am doing most of someone else's job. This is effectively my retreat.

Tomorrow I will be celebrating the Belmont Stakes with appropriate cocktails. However, I am greatly disappointed I'll Have Another was scratched today.

I am working on projects for two Cal alumni groups. I made some big updates to one's website and planned some important next steps for the other one.

Every two weeks I am still donating platelets. A week from tomorrow I will be taking a radio license test.

No comments:

Post a Comment