Friday, November 23, 2012

What is your address?

All of my ideas for posts lately have been sad and depressing. They are full of things I am angry about or ways I think I have failed. However, I do have a good idea below.

For the last few years I have been sending out Christmas cards. This is great because the post is under-appreciated and receiving letters is something people like. They have an old-fashioned feel. These are not cards to my family, but to my friends. I have met some great people and I do not want to lose them.

This year there are a few things I want to change. I need to reevaluate the list. There are people I want to add. These are people I should have contacted a few years ago to get their mailing addresses. Then there is a grey area. These are people I care about, but do not think they care about me beyond someone they randomly know from something a few years ago.

The good news is you can help me sort this out. If you are reading this (and actually know me), send me an email or Facebook message with your mailing address. I will add you to the list. Even if it is the same as last year, drop me a line saying "I am still on La Brea Lane" or "I am waiting on Woodbriar when not on call."

Several people I know have moved in the last year. This is me asking for your new address.

If you send me a message by Monday December 17th, I will send you a Christmas card for 2012. This is also a survey of sorts to see who is reading my blog. I have been an inconsistent publisher this year, so do not feel bad if you are an inconsistent reader.

In general, I do not send out cards to people I know from high school who live nearby. If you are in this group and think I should, send me your reasoning.

Comments on Family
This week my second cousin was visiting. He flew in with my grandma and stayed for a day before taking a bus to Las Vegas. My brother and I showed him some of the Orange County sites and had a great time.

After seeing extended family at weddings and different visits in the last couple of years, I am deciding which of my relatives I want to get to know better. Specifically, which of my cousins (including second cousins) I want to build relationships with and which ones I will not actively try to stay in contact with. I am thinking about who I would go out of my way to see on a trip if my parents were not making the plans.

None of my extended family live nearby. They are in Colorado, Indiana, New York, Sweden, Michigan, Ohio, Georgia, Wisconsin, and some other places I am not sure of. I do not want to drop any of my cousins like they are horrible people (maybe one or two of them), but I am not equally excited about hearing the latest happenings of all of their lives.

I am also going for quality over quantity. It is better if I can be close with two or three of them, instead of knowing six or seven a little better than I do now.

In case I did not say it clear enough earlier, send me your address now! I have cards that need addresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment