Saturday, July 3, 2010

Some Computer Issues

A few weeks ago some computer problems popped up. In the hope of helping you when your computer goes bad, I will relate my experience here. If you make it past all the specifics of my stories there are two drink recipes at the end.

One day I was using Internet Explorer (do not use Internet Explorer, try Firefox or Chrome instead) and the Java nameplate came up as if I had just started a Java application. Since I did not start any Java program, I knew immediately my computer was infected with some kind of maleware. After a fake anti-virus scanner (fake because the despicable people who wrote the program attacked my computer to get me to buy their product) popped up, I could not even Ctrl-Alt-Del out of it. The fake anti-virus would not even let me open any of my anti-virus or anti-malware programs.

I started my Windows XP machine in Safe Mode by pressing F8 multiple times after the BIOS loaded. Using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, I found the infection and removed it. I also ran Spybot-Search & Destroy and it found one other problem and it removed.

My next problem was getting back online. When I opened Chrome, it said the website was not found and might have moved. It said this for every website. Internet Explorer could not connect to the internet; I think it said there were connectivity problems. All of this mystified me, because I was able to update all of my anti-malware programs. My computer could connect to the internet, but neither Chrome nor Internet Explorer could grab a website.

For some reason I clicked on Firefox. For an even stranger reason it worked perfectly.

Using this working web browser, I googled my problem. I tried one of the fixes posted in a several year old thread. In Internet Explorer, I went to Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections tab where I played with a setting (I think it was LAN Settings -> uncheck use a proxy server). The problem was fixed. Both Internet Explorer and Chrome worked perfectly. I would think each browser would be independent of the settings in another browser, but that was not the case.

What you need to know
This is a good time to say a few things you should do to protect yourself from viruses/malware/other problems.
  • Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware- This is the first program I go to when I think there is a problem. It is available for free so download it now. Even if you do not have a problem currently, install it now so it is there when an infection happens and you need it. Like all anti-malware programs, always update it before you run a scan so the latest definitions are loaded.

  • Program updates- Java and Adobe Reader are often accessed to open materials online. As such they can also be accessed by malicious programs which exploit weaknesses to harm your computer. Java can be updated by going through the Control Panel (using Classic View, click the Java icon). I am not sure how to update Adobe Reader. I have the professional version of Acrobat instead and that program updates through its help menu.
Since you are reading this post so far you are probably a friend of mine or a friend of someone I link to (e.g. you read James's blog and clicked over). If you ever have any problems with a computer virus, spyware, malware, etc. you are welcome to contact me (my phone number is on Facebook so you can even call me) and ask questions or get advice on how to fix your computer problems. However, I do not believe in wireless laptops so if you are having connectivity problems do not contact me unless you want to learn about the wonders of Cat5 cable.

RAndoM Problems
Last October I wrote a long post telling the story of some problems I had. I never published the post, so I will give you the relevant points here.

I discovered RAM can go bad. The symptoms are some programs will not open, some files will not copy correctly, and running a diagnostic program from the computer manufacturer will indicate a RAM problem. It looked like my hard drive was dying, but it was only the RAM.

The fun highlights of my story include watching Stargate SG-1 (episode 4 of season 7, Orpheus to be exact) until the video froze up (the first indication of trouble), going to Fry's Electronics, buying and installing a new hard drive I did not need, and enjoying a Jagerbomb.

Jagerbomb

1.5 oz Jagermeister
can of Red Bull (or other energy drink)

Fill a shot glass with Jagermeister. Fill a larger glass half full of energy drink. Drop the shot glass filled with Jagermeister into the energy drink and immediately consume the drink.

This is not directly related, but it is a drink you should try.

Guinness Punch

12 oz Guinness stout
0.5 cup sweetened condensed milk
raw egg
cinnamon
nutmeg

Mix all the ingredients with a whisk or in a blender. Garnish with additional cinnamon and nutmeg if desired. Some recipes include cocoa as well as cinnamon and nutmeg.

In the past Derek has watched my consumption of raw eggs with mixed feelings. If you try this drink you should let him know the wonders it does for your health.

I hope you learned something useful about fixing computer problems or making drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment