Thursday, July 15, 2010

Things to do Over Summer

It is summer and for many people this brings time. Now, what to do during that time.

Reading
On Tuesday of this week I joined the summer reading program at my local library. The program is very similar to last summer's so I will direct you to that post for details. The theme this year is Water Your Mind. I will file the same complaint I did with last year's program; they have taken the reading out of the summer reading program. Check the earlier post for details.

Also in the reading front, I am in a book club. This name to be determined entity includes people such as Amanda and Shauna. We had our first discussion on the book On Beauty by Zadie Smith yesterday via Gchat. Based upon the first third of the book, I would not recommend you read it.

Being in a book club, I am reminded of the Seinfeld episode ("The Couch") where George joins a book club. "I just joined a book club." George tells Jerry. He then adds "Soon I will be a lot smarter than you."

Television
If you like watching television shows I have a few suggestions. All of these are available (or at least a lot of the episodes are available) to watch for free anytime on hulu.com.
  • Stargate SG-1 - If you like science fiction you should watch this. I explained my feelings on Stargate earlier and I stand by my high level of enjoyment of the show.

  • Arrested Development - The first of three seasons is currently available online, though in the past they have made other seasons available as well. The show takes place in Orange County, which makes for some very funny things. I have heard people say it is necessary to see three or four episodes to understand the characters enough to enjoy the show. However, I liked it from the first episode.

  • NewsRadio - I just started watching this on hulu. Like Arrested Development I laugh out loud watching this. Many episodes are available online. The character of Bill McNeal portrayed by Phil Hartman is my new comic hero.
If you have any recommendations on what to do during the summer make a comment. Road trips are always fun and I will direct you to a few I have done. It is also the season for county fairs and their fired goodies. I am looking forward to the chocolate covered bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment