Friday, September 3, 2010

The Bears are coming

As some of you know, tomorrow is the first game of the California Golden Bears football season. I have been listening to my Cal Band CD to get into the correct mood.

The complete schedule for the season and where to find the Bears on TV and radio is available on the Cal Bears website. You can also listen to all the games on KALX online.

On Saturday at 1 the Bears will be playing UC Davis at Memorial Stadium.

When I lived at the Yee Tenement House, I would often make a dip Derek, Patrick, and sometimes David would enjoy before walking down Piedmont to the stadium. I will share the recipe so you too can enjoy this game day tradition. This would usually be accompanied with rum and cokes or gin and tonics if I had a two liter bottle of tonic to finish up.

Layered Nacho Dip

1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
1/2 pkg. taco mix
16 oz. guacamole dip
8 oz. sour cream
1 small can black olives, chopped or sliced
2 tomatoes, diced
Green onions (or a small onion) finely chopped
taco sauce or salsa
thick layer of shredded Cheddar (and/or Jack) cheese

Mix refried beans & taco mix. Layer in shallow dish (I think I used a 9 x 13) or pie pan in order: Beans/taco mix, guacamole, sour cream, chopped black olives, diced tomatoes, onion, salsa & shredded cheese. Serve with nacho chips.

You can play with the amounts and ingredients any way you like. I used genuine Safeway refried beans most of the time and started with this appetizing sight.

Refried beans in shape of can at start of dip
Game day never tasted so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment