Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cookies and Cakes

My Grandma is visiting; she has been here for almost a month. One of the things this means is a lot of cookies have been baked. I have documented them below and included a few words about them.

Cut out cookies in tin

Cut-out Cookies
Our cookie cutter designs included tree, Santa, star, dog, moon, candle, angel, duck, and bell. In previous years we had snowmen cookies as well, but I was not at home to speak up for the snowmen. At the time I was hundreds of miles away watching Larry make a real snowman.


These are some more cut out cookies including ones with colored sugar.


Sour Cream Cookies
The frosting makes them wonderful.


Russian Balls
They are like shortbread. I think they are a boring dessert compared to all the other choices.


Date Balls
These are easy to make; they are done on the stove. The coating is powdered sugar.
Date balls with powdered sugar

Aunt Gladys
I do not know how they got their name, but after tasting these cookies I do not want to met Aunt Gladys. Like almost anything they are better after the addition of frosting.


These are similar to the Aunt Gladys cookies, except they are stickier and have Rice Krispies. Like the Aunt Gladys cookies I recommend you bypass them and go for superior cookies.


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
My brother made these while I was in Utah. These are similar to cookies I sometimes make, but there are a few important differences. If I made cookies like this they would be called chocolate chip oatmeal. If someone is told cookies are oatmeal-something an immediate reaction is to assume oatmeal raisin. I do not want to subject people to this possible reaction for even a second. While I am not a member, I support the mission of the Facebook group "Raisins, Stay the Fuck Out of My Cookies."
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

Holiday Cookies
This is a non-descriptive name for cookies made with Rice Krispies and sometimes coconut. I made these before Grandma came so she would not panic as much because we did not have a dozen different types of cookies baked before Christmas.


As if these eight kinds of cookies were not enough, we also baked a few coffee cakes and a layered birthday cake.
I would put a picture of the layer cake on a cake stand here, but my Dad's camera uses a memory chip that sends pictures over a wireless network to a computer and server. This is supposed to make things easier because there is no need to download the pictures. However, he cannot find the pictures I want.

When it comes to computers, just say NO to wireless.

No comments:

Post a Comment