Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Being Matched, Extra Espresso, and the Triple Digits

When I went to donate platelets last week there was a problem. My blood pressure was too high and I had to be deferred. My reading was 146/102, while the highest allowed diastolic is 100. This was most likely caused by my weight lifting an hour before I went in. I was so dejected by my high blood pressure I went to Starbucks and drank a venti caramel macchiato with an extra espresso shot. I felt much better after that. Since I was only deferred for a day I returned the next day and was able to successfully donate.

Since my last aphereis post I made three trips to the Red Cross. The movies I saw included Elf, Wedding Crashers, and The Town. While the first two have been around for a while if you have not seen The Town I would recommend it.

The exciting thing is for all three of these donations I was pre-matched with a specific patient. The staff had received a request for platelets of a specific blood type. Since I fit the description and had an appointment I was matched. I also saw the forms and know I was requested for the same person all three times.

In October I donated my 100th unit of platelets. However, they just managed to get this made and delivered to me last week. As of this month I have been doing this for two years.

100 Apheresis donations award
I mention this in the hope you will be inspired to so something good. You could donate whole blood or convince a friend to do so at least twice before I hit 150.

3 comments:

  1. That is so wonderful, Chris! I just tried to donate last month, and found out that my recent travels to Jamaica exclude me from donating for a whole year. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congrats! You are 100 times the good samaritan I could ever be. One day, one day I will donate some part of my body. To another human being, to science, to some noble cause that will further me along the path to self-actualization.
    In the meantime, I too enjoyed The Town—and Ben Affleck is VERY cute, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The great thing is you too can be a good Samaritan. Linda can help someone. Check out this website and it will walk you through stuff. It does not take too long and they give you snacks.

    In The Town I liked watching Jon Hamm's character's do anything to stop bank robberies approach. Anyone who wants to kill someone with his bare hands does not mess around.

    ReplyDelete