Friday, July 15, 2011

Current vision, Television

One bad thing about summer is many television shows go on hiatus. The upside is many programs outside of the standard fall to spring schedule start their new seasons.

These are the shows I am/will be watching with new episodes airing this summer. I mention what the show is about, where the new season might go, and why I like it. In order of their season premiere,

Burn Notice
The setup: The opening of every episode explains the series well so I will quote the monologue:
My name is Michael Westen. I used to be a spy. Until...[Voice on phone:] "We’ve got a burn notice on you. You’re blacklisted." When you’re burned, you’ve got nothing. No cash, no credit, no job history. You’re stuck in whatever city they decide to dump you in. You do whatever work comes your way. You rely on anyone who’s still talking to you. A trigger-happy ex-girlfriend...An old friend who used to inform on you to the FBI...Family too...if you’re desperate. Bottom line? Until you figure out who burned you, you’re not going anywhere.
Michael tries to figure out who framed and betrayed him. Aside from that, he helps people who need help the police cannot provide. This could be anything from helping good people who got mixed up with loan sharks to rescuing girls who were kidnapped for sex trafficking.

This season: I do not know which way they are taking this season. I think Michael has killed every possible threat and taken all the revenge he can. The only thing left is to blow more things up and shoot more bad guys. The show is in its fifth season on USA.

Why I like it: Blowing things up, killing bad guys, coming up with plans to get the bad guys in trouble, and international conspiracies.

Warehouse 13
The setup: People who work for the government locate items with special powers and store these items (called artifacts) so they cannot be used for nefarious purposes. The artifacts are usually linked to a historical figure who used its power.

This season: After Myka left everyone and the Warehouse at the end of last season a replacement agent will have to be brought in. The third season started on Monday on Syfy.

Why I like it: It is fun. Crazy stuff happens, but there is a semi-scientific reason why. All of the artifacts have connections to history or fiction. Last season had a plot involving H.G. Wells.

Breaking Bad
The setup: Chemistry teacher Walter White is diagnosed with advanced cancer. Fearing for the finical future of his pregnant wife and son with cerebral palsy after his death, he starts to cook methamphetamine. Keeping this secret, dealing with his junkie business partner, and all of the occupational dangers of being in the illegal drug business (being shot at, dealing with criminals, laundering money, etc.) combine for dramatic effect.

This season: After the dramatic ending of last season, how will Walter and Jesse get out of the mess they are in? Will Walter's house of cards come crashing down? Will Jesse outlive his usefulness? I would say more, but I do not want to ruin the series for anyone. The fourth season will premiere on Sunday on AMC.

Why I like it: Everything has unintended consequences. The characters are very human and act in ways that make sense. When things are bad; they can find a way to get worse.

Of all these shows, Breaking Bad is the best. If you want to start watching it, I very strongly recommend you start at the beginning with season one. The episodes need to be watched in order and are worth seeing. The other two series will make enough sense if you start watching anytime.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I've heard good things about Breaking Bad.

    A show I like, a lot, and recommend to people, usually girls, is Downton Abbey. It's British and takes place around World War I and it tells about the lives of a family and their servants who live in this huge estate... you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as I do, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I get a chance to see Downtown Abbey I will. However, there is a good chance I will agree with you.

    ReplyDelete