Friday, September 9, 2011

Three classes, two campuses, one week

Last week was a crazy week.

As I have mentioned before, I was taking a summer class at UCI. Last week was the fifth and final week of that class. On Monday and Wednesday I had lecture and discussion that went from 8 to noon. On Tuesday and Thursday I had lab that was scheduled from 8-11. One of the people in my lab group was late on Tuesday because she was celebrating a religious holiday and completely missed Thursday because of a family emergency. To make things worse, our circuit board, motor, and (expletive) tachometer took a lot of coaxing to work correctly. Even the graduate students who supervised the lab could not make it work immediately. Things went so bad the entire class had to come in for a second lab day. I did not leave the lab until after noon both days. There was also the usual monster sized homework due on Wednesday. Completing that required me to stay up until 4 Wednesday morning before I woke up at 6 for class.

That was only half the fun. Last week was also the first week of two classes I am taking at Cal State Long Beach. The two schools have overlapping schedules because UCI is on the quarter system while Long Beach does semesters. I also had to get signatures and special forms to take classes there since I am not a matriculated student.

For Monday through Thursday of last week I drove from Huntington Beach to Irvine to Long Beach and then back home to Huntington Beach. Fortunately, all three of these destinations are close to the 405. On Thursday I left home before 8 in the morning and got back just after 9 at night. Since it was the first week the professor ended lab early. It is scheduled to run from 7-9:45.

The Weekend
This crazy week happened to have one of the more interesting weekends I have experienced in a while. On Saturday I watched the Bears beat Fresno State in the football season opener with the Orange County Cal Alumni Club. On Sunday I went to Ryan's house where I had a few drinks and decided it was better to spend the night there instead of driving home.

On Monday I went to Aden's to watch a Patton Oswalt comedy special. I am not familiar with Oswalt's comedy, but Aden and Nick orchestrated food based upon his sketches. They had Famous KFC bowls (also called mashed potato bowls) which Oswalt calls sadness bowls, cupcakes with french fries, chicken McNuggets, Cheetos, soda, beer, donuts, and ice cream topped with Lucky Charms. We never even opened my chips and cookies. It was awesome.

This Week
On Tuesday I went to UCI to met with someone to work on our lab report. However, she had been working on it until 7 that morning and could not make it to campus before I had to go to Long Beach for class.

Tuesday night I worked on an extra credit homework assignment and chatted over gmail with my missing lab partner. I gave her some great commentary to add to our report. Since the homework assignment was extra credit, I did not finish it and went to sleep at 2. Aside from the report and homework being due, Wednesday morning was also the final.

After the disaster of a final I went to Long Beach for class and to met with a lab group. I had to share with my group how I coded a Fourier series in MATLAB. All I could say was I could not finish it or know how to make it work. Then I made my way home before heading to a meeting at church where I essentially lead a mini-Bible study.

From Monday last week to Thursday of this week I made six round trips from home to UCI and then Long Beach. I drove over 400 miles.

Even with all this, I am happy to be involved with everything. Some things could have turned out better, but I am doing things and making something with my time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the junk food potluck. Just remember that junk food can be good for you because it builds your immune system so it can survive without the assistance of healthy fruits and vegetables. Okay, that's not true, but it was a good gathering of food and friends.

    ReplyDelete