Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Fun activities and summer so far

Since I made going out, doing different things, and seeing people I want to see more one of my priorities for the summer, I should chronicle some of what I did. It feels like time is flying by, but there is so much I still want to do. This covers the last month and a half.

  • Went to an end of year bonfire with the Long Beach Newman group. I was a little worried because I only knew some people vaguely from a retreat a couple of months earlier. However, it all worked out and was fun. At the end all of the extra items ended up in my cooler, including vegan hot dogs. I do not know what to do with them.
  • Attended a graduation party. While I did not know Justin very well in Berkeley (my senior year was his freshman year), it was fun and everyone was glad to meet everyone. I also saw such exciting people as Juliette and Sidney. I ended up with some candy from a pinata and some avocados.
  • Went to happy hour at the Lazy Dog with two of my friends from Long Beach. This was exciting because it was the first time I did something with friends I made at Long Beach. Well, it was the first time socializing with people from Long Beach did not turn out to be an unmitigated disaster.
  • Saw Larry after he returned from graduate school in Arizona, only to find out he was leaving for Vietnam four days later. That night some of my friends tried to fly kites, which was amusing.
  • Volunteered at a speaking even put on by the Orange County Cal Alumni. Executive vice chancellor and provost George Breslauer gave a great talk covering Russian politics and campus developments.
  • Saw Terrance and played the zombie game Last Night on Earth. After I equipped one of my heroes with a chainsaw, I ripped through 8 zombies. Then I saw Prometheus with Eric and Peter. I expected something better than a remake of Alien.
  • Donated platelets four times and went to an appreciation event that celebrated regular donors like me.
  • Went to a BBQ at Brandon's house, which is still being built. Then we had a bonfire at the beach. It was the first full day of summer and one of Eric's processed pictures I stole from online is below.

  • Watched Battleship with Eric and Peter. We waited until it was in the cheap theater, which was a good choice. A couple of the choices the main characters (who were supposed to be navy officers) made were incredibly stupid. How does a ship fire all of its ordnance on an enemy except for its most destructive weapons (cruise missiles)? Or, if firing missiles at an enemy will give away your location, why do you wait until you are being fired upon to change course instead of immediately changing after you fire missiles? Either the characters are stupid or I am a genius at naval warfare against aliens.
  • Went to the Queen Mary with Aden and Ashley. The engine room and the propeller were fun to look at. We also went on the Ghosts and Legends tour that took us to the haunted parts of the ship such as the boiler room and main pool. The ship was nice to see once, but I do not envision myself going back there.
  • Tried several different flavors of wings at Buffalo Wild Wings. My favorites were mango habanero and jalapeno. Afterwards I discovered people will just hop into my car when I am in the drive through at Sonic.
  • Saw the fine motion picture Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.
  • Went a few places around town with my aunt and uncle who were visiting from Indiana.
  • Saw Frank who is back from England and ate at Lucille's BBQ. We then saw Ted, which was like a long episode of Family Guy.

While many of these points could be expanded to full posts, that would be too long, detailed, and boring. Instead I will drop in extra random points here, such as my friend's uncle who kept offering everyone shots of tequila, or how Peter was instructed to get margarita mix at the store only to return with sour mix. There was the time I parked on a street with this ominous sign.



Now for one of the oddest things. I walked into an office and I saw a video playing in the next room. The video had me in it and was something I did in high school. Then I realized the video was redone with Spanish voiceovers. I do not know what this says about my life, but a video I was in has been dubbed into another language.

I still need to figure out what is next. Tomorrow I am going to Terrance's Mom's house for a BBQ and after that my mom, dad, and brother are leaving for San Diego. I will be home alone for three days and need to think of some exciting things to do.

2 comments:

  1. That is, without a doubt, the most incredible parking sign I've seen in my life. "Hours of Darkness" sounds like a black death metal band.

    I'm glad we had the chance to visit the Queen Mary with you. I agree that it's a fun place to visit once, but not somewhere I would care to make another trip to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Prometheus was so bad!!! I cringed through most of the movie. And I can't believe you watched the Lincoln Vampire Slayer movie, haha. Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete