Thursday, September 6, 2012

Plans getting derailed

Last post I talked about some good things I have done recently. However, there have been a few bad developments.

My plan was to apply this month and start an MSEE (masters of science in electrical engineering) in January at Long Beach. When I went to fill out the application I discovered Long Beach has closed all applications for next semester. They cited budget cuts as the reason.

This has disrupted my educational plan. I looked into other schools to apply to, but they do not look feasible. All the prerequisites I have taken were focused on what they would ask me to take at Long Beach. Other schools could have different requirements and ask me to take different classes. There is also geography. Long Beach is ten miles away from my house and I can take either the 405 or surface streets depending on traffic. If I started at Pomona, it would be a 45 minute drive if there was no traffic. If it was a busy time, I would be stuck on the 22 and the 57.

I am considering plans for what I will do with these eight months.

I have talked to the people at my volunteer job about what skills I should learn. So far, many people have said I should get a commercial radio license. It is similar to the radio licenses I currently have and am teaching a class on. I have to pass two multiple choice tests of 24 and 100 questions. I am also thinking of getting a radar endorsement along with the license. It only requires passing an extra 50 question test. Radar is closely related to radio and is mentioned in many of the job postings I have seen. A few people have also mentioned getting a Cisco network certification. I have to learn how networks work, how to configure them, and then pass a test. These are all things I am interested in that would also help me get a job.

My top priority is getting an outstanding grade in the one class I am taking. If I can do that and get to know the professor, I will have a better chance of getting into the MSEE at Long Beach. After that, I want to lean as much as I can and gain as much experience as possible at my volunteer job in Los Angeles. I will also apply for jobs that are closely related to the experience and classes I have from the last year. There are some great opportunities for people with some of the skills I now have.

No comments:

Post a Comment