Monday, January 7, 2013

Hanging out in malls

In the last few days I have spent a lot of time hanging out in malls. I do not do this very often.

The Block
On Friday I was at The Outlets at Orange, which is the new name for The Block. I met up with a person who knows Sidney from church activities. Since he recently moved to Orange County, Sidney suggested the two of us should get to know each other.

Since I had never met Jason before, I was concerned about us recognizing each other. I thought about holding up a glow in the dark statue of baby Jesus (a gift Sidney recently gave to dozens of his friends). However, I decided that wearing a Cal shirt and looking at his Facebook pictures would be enough. We enjoyed a couple of beers during happy hour at Alcatraz Brewing Company. He seems like an interesting person I would like to get to know better.

After that, I spent some time with Dave since he lives close by The Block. We looked for a place to eat. There were way too many people at the Buffalo Wild Wings. Instead, we went to the great American institution of the food court. Many of the restaurants were giving out samples which led me to eat a cheese stake for dinner.

South Coast Plaza
On Saturday I was at South Coast Plaza. I saw Lisa, who I know from Newman activities in Berkeley. We meandered through the mall and lamented the closing of certain stores before eating at Lawry's Carvery. After hearing what Lisa has been up to, I want to plan a trip to Death Valley. Otherwise, she still lives in Hippo House and will be better after her thesis is finished.

Not a Mall
Yesterday for the first time I saw an episode of the show Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. One of my friends watches the show and admits it is train wreck television. If you want a short introduction to what the show is like, ABC has a short video since Honey Boo Boo was named one of the most fascinating people of the year. There are dozens of better ways you should spend your time instead of watching this show.

3 comments:

  1. 'Honey Boo Boo' is definitely lowest common denominator television at its most pointless and pathetic, especially when taking into account that there are millions of equally dumb Honey Boo Boos out there who do not have their own equally pathetic train wreck TV shows.

    On another note, I think going to malls is the primary activity for hanging out in Orange County because there are so many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profiling me and some of my friends could be interesting television.

    Do you have any good suggestions on what people could do other than go to malls? I will usually met up with people at restaurants or see movies, but cannot think of too many other options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people usually do the same activities for socializing in the suburbs as they do in cities- go to bars, restaurants, movies, concerts, and games. It just happens that a lot of those activity venues are at malls in the suburbs and more spread out in urban places.

    I always wish I had gone bowling more with my friends in O.C., but I only knew of a few really ghetto bowling lanes and the nice, incredibly crowded one at the GardenWalk (another mall).

    I really enjoy going to museums and other educational or historical places (such as the Getty, the Queen Mary, and zoos) with friends, but most of my friends don't enjoy doing that and those activities are more day than night exclusive.

    ReplyDelete