Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What makes you happy?

I want to know, what makes you happy?

Looking at the people around me, I have no idea what makes some of them happy. For example, I do not know what makes my grandma happy. Based on what she spends her time doing, I think it is baking, cooking, going to mass, and praying the rosary. My dad spends a lot of time in front of a computer or looking at his phone with the TV on in the background. However, I do not think it brings him happiness.

If it is not clear to the people around you what you like doing, perhaps it is not clear to you.

Since I want to be happy, I want to set aside time every day to do something I enjoy. A few of the things I really like doing are:
  • Watching TV shows I like without interruption. These are shows that are still great, not just shows that used to be good.
  • Going on trips to different places. Sightseeing, hiking, or just looking around a new place is fun. The main requirement is being with people who are fun to be with. Taking naps in a hotel room most of the time does not qualify as fun.
  • Reading things I like. This could include fiction or history related things.
Everyone around me has their own ideas on what I should do with my time. However, it is all based on their goals and the things they think are important. I am the only person who will prioritize doing what I like to do.

My great fear is I will become like some of the people in my family. I do not see them really enjoying anything. They appear to be merely passing time and not using it for what they want.

One of my efforts to improve my life is allocating my time based on what is important to me. If reading a book or watching a TV show is something I want to do, I need to make sure I do it. If working on an alumni group is important to me, I need to prioritize that. It is up to me to make my life awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment