Thursday, July 16, 2009

A day at the Orange County Fair

Before I get to the fair from yesterday, a comment on Tuesday. I saw the movie Drag Me To Hell with Larry, Peter, and Eric. It was at the dollar (actually $3 per ticket) theater. I do not watch too many horror movies, but I liked the atmosphere and things jumping out of nowhere aspect of the movie. Some of the parts were overdone and ended up being funny instead of scary.

Now the main topic. Through the MS Society my Mom obtained tickets and parking for the OC Fair for yesterday. We got stickers that identified us as Friends of the Fair. We were able to enter the fair a few hours before the general public and could ride the kid rides for free until noon. If I had paid for some of those rides, I would have felt robbed. For example, there was a pirates themed ride. People sat in small roller coaster cars and slowly drove through a winding track in the dark. There were three displays that were visible, all of them skeletons or parts of them with pirate accessories like hats. This costs 4-5 or more tickets.

I should get into the traveling ride business. All I have to do is charge a couple of dollars so people can ride a car in the dark with a few scattered decorations bought on clearance from a Halloween store on November 1st. I went on the ride Re-Mix II which was directly across from the Ferris wheel. For a mobile ride at a fair, it was pretty good.

One of the great attractions from the fair is the food. They have deep fried foods that cannot be found elsewhere. The deep fried Twinkie was unexciting. There was very little effect from the oil on the Twinkie. I also had a zucchini winnie, which is a corn dog where the hot dog is inside a zucchini.

My favorite was the deep fired smoore. The chocolate covered bacon was great as well. It was served straight out of the freezer. I have material to make funnel cake at home, so I did not try any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment