Monday, July 13, 2009

Return from New York

I got back from New York today. I can't say it was a vacation, I did more work there then I do at home. Dealing with my grandparents can be difficult, but I do not want to dwell on the negatives. Working with my Dad, I fixed an outside flood light, painted an enclosed porch, and did several little things around the house for Grandma.

I disconnected my Grandma's old rotary phone on Sunday the 5th. My earliest memories of going to visit Grandma C in Buffalo are like taking a trip back in time. The refrigerator, freezer, oven, appliances, decorations, even the glass bottles of pop in the fridge are straight out of the 50s or 60s. Going back to even another memory, the first time I went to Disneyland (summer of 95 I believe) I went on the Wheel of Progress in Tomorrowland. It was a circular building with seats facing the center stage. After the automated show giving a glimpse of what life was like in a certain time for a family in America was finished, the seating area would turn maybe a fifth of a turn and see a different setup at the center that showed an era more advanced. When I went to my Grandma's house, it was as if I had stepped onto one of those stages.

On a more immediate to the present topic, I finished my personal statement for UCLA on Thursday and mailed it in Buffalo. I waited until the last minute to finish it and had to print it out at Aunt Addy's house.

During the trip to New York (4 - 13) I read H.G. Well's The First Men in the Moon. I liked it, as I have enjoyed all of H.G. Well's books I have read so far. The introduction gave me a few ideas on other books of his to check out, including When the Sleeper Wakes.

While I was gone, I received a letter from Derek. We are practicing the art of letter writing and keeping old fashioned things in style. I was very excited when I had the chance to line dry some clothes at my Grandma's house. I should mention, Derek is by no means the only person who I am corresponding with via the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment