Friday, March 19, 2010

Irish Cocktail and Corn Casserole

In the past week I have read 100+ pages in three different books and over 30 pages of a textbook, but have not yet finished any of them. (Actually, since I wrote that line yesterday I finished one. A post will be forthcoming.)

As an update to a previous post about GRE scores, I have my actual report to share. My Analytical Writing score was 3.5 out of 6 which is in the 23rd percentile. For the other two sections, the percentiles are exactly what I guessed in the previous post, Verbal 90th and Quantitative 62nd.

As I said before, I know I can do much better on the test. While ETS says people who retake the test usually do not see a significant change in score, I have some personal experience that differs. Once upon a time back when Writing was a separate SAT II subject test (May 2003), I took it. The first time I got 520, which is the 21st percentile (from a chart I found). Before the test I had a lot of literal drama and trauma. It was one of the craziest and most surreal weeks of my life. When I took the test a second time without the extenuating circumstances, I scored 760 (or 92nd percentile). If I ever do retake the GRE, I will be preparing and aiming for 90th percentile or higher in all three sections.

Now for the next installment of Chris's Cocktails & Casseroles.

Plain and Fancy Corn Casserole

1 can creamed corn
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup cut up pepper
Little cut up onion (I used half an onion, but use less if you like it less)
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2-1 cup shredded cheese, divided
2 egg yokes

Combine and place in an ungreased (I do not believe in ungreased, but you can try if you want to) casserole pan. Top with more cheese. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

I doubled this recipe and added a can of whole corn. It was delicious.

This recipe was on a card in my Mom's recipe box at home. The title of Plain and Fancy comes from the TV show of the same name in Buffalo many years ago.


Even though St. Patrick's Day has passed, there is nothing wrong with enjoying this next cocktail year round.

Irish Car Bomb

Bottle Guinness beer
0.75 oz Jameson Irish whiskey
0.75 oz Baileys Irish cream

Fill a large glass half full with Guinness. Then take a shot glass and fill it half full with whiskey and then float the cream on top of that. If you want to be fancy, slowly pour the cream on the back of an inverted spoon into the already half full shot glass. Next, take the shot glass and gently (or aggressively if you don't mind a mess) drop it glass and all into the glass with the Guinness. Immediately chug the drink, as the reaction of the ingredients will start to curdle.

No comments:

Post a Comment