Saturday, March 20, 2010

A new bike, cuts on my hand, and 7-Eleven

A week ago my bike broke. I had to walk, gently ride, and finally carry it 2.25 miles back home. The gear shifter was destroyed because the rear tire hub failed. I was mad. The bike had worked wonderfully for over 18 months, but was taken to a bike shop just a month ago. After putting on new tires, a new seat, oiling everything, putting some other new stuff on and generating a $93 bill I thought the bike would would be good for a long time to come. I was wrong.

My Dad and I took the bike back to the shop and they said the hub failing has nothing to do with what they did. They said it was a cheap three piece hub and they fail often. The shop had a bike on sale they wanted to sell us for $250. I said I would think about it. To aid my thinking, I went to a biking superstore. It had ten times the floor space. I found a better bike there. It only cost $20 more and that was for the installation of a kick stand. I was very pleased and planned to never return to the other bike shop.

This new bike is sharp. More than looking good, I actually cut my finger moving it. I was able to apply a band aid and some antibiotic that expired in 1/04 on it so everything is better. Luckily my right middle finger is not used excessively in typing. One time last summer I was adjusting the spring on the garage door (the one with the warning tag that says serious injury or death could result if improperly adjusted by non-trained personal) and cut my right pinky finger. Normally, that finger is infrequently used in regular typing. However, I was doing some programing in PHP and HTML which require heavy usage of ; / ? : ' " ) = + and even some { } []. All of these are typed by the right pinky.

Springtime
Earlier today it became spring and this should be celebrated. When I lived at the Yee Tenement House, I involved my roommates in a celebration. We went to the local 7-Eleven and brought in the new season with a Double Gulp and some fine Hostess Twinkies. Well, that is what I did while Derek looked on with mixed feelings and Rohit bought a smaller sized soda.

Do you know how much soda is in a Double Gulp? They did not have the size on the cup I purchased, but from my past experience I know it is 64 oz. For comparison, that is half of a gallon, or 1.9 liters of soda. Double Gulps bring back musical memories of when I was in stage crew in high school.

Earlier this week, I went to celebrate early so I could take a picture and get it online. I bought the Double Gulp of Dr. Pepper, a Twinkie, and even threw in a Slurpee for my Mom. When I was paying for the items, the clerk asked if I wanted a donut for free. Few things in the world are better than free food so I took it.
7eleven Double Gulp and spring celebration
I consumed all three of the items when I got home. With all the sugar I could feel my risk of diabetes going up. It was glorious. I do not endorse doing this every week, but I would recommend you do something to celebrate the new season in a non-pagan way.

3 comments:

  1. 7-11 can be a magical place when I'm in dire need of chemical iced coffee and blood sugar pernicious glazed donuts.

    Surprisingly, all the 7-11's I went to in San Francisco sold copies of the San Francisco Chronicle. Now that I'm back in Orange County I rarely find 7-11 stores that even sell the Orange County Register, let alone the L.A. or N.Y. Times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. The number (word?) 7-11 makes me happy whenever I hear it. What you did sounds like a great way to bring in the Spring. That is, if you want that Spring to be your last. ;)

    I should do a similar ritual. But after a three day trip to the OC, two of which were spent driving to and from the place, I must have drunk about three or more Mickey Dee's iced coffees, not to mention a few large Taco Bell sodas. All in all, a weekend potentially more damaging to my insulin feedback mechanisms than your 7-11 meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to differentiate myself from the Christoper above before we confuse too many people. I will look into an icon or something like that. I am the Christopher who writes blog posts and lives west of the 405.

    If I had to speculate, I would say the 7-Elevens in San Francisco are in the middle of a big city and double as newsstands. In Orange County, the 7-Elevens are more isolated and people are much less likely to grab a paper from one on the way to a place.

    I was just thinking about blood sugar dangers. If an infrequent soda drinker has a soda bomb, it would it be a bigger shock to his system than a consistent soda drinker who has a Double Gulp once in a while. The body that was acclimated to regular soda consumption would handle big soda drinks better.

    There is always next weekend to celebrate with a Double Gulp.

    ReplyDelete