Saturday, November 27, 2010

Grilled Turkey and a Gold Rush

My Mom found some comments online about grilling a turkey. I followed those for Thanksgiving and it worked out well.

As described online, the cooking uses indirect heat. Part of the grill is turned on, but the turkey is placed over the other part with no heat underneath it. The top is kept closed so the heat can cook the turkey like an oven. It took around 4 hours to cook our 18 lb. bird.

Turkey on grill
I did have one problem. The big barbecue fork I used to rotate the turkey could not handle the job without bending. What good are barbecue tools if they can't handle an 18 lb. turkey?

As with any turkey cooking method, seasoning the bird is very important. The grilling turned out OK, but was lacking a lot because very little seasoning was done.

This is Mom at the table before everyone ate.

Dinner table and Mom
I also enjoyed a drink I recently read about in the Wall Street Journal. There is a video that explains how to make a Gold Rush that I recommend. The recipe is transcribed below. While there are several different recipes online, I can only attest to trying this version from the Lambs Club in New York City.

Gold Rush

2 oz Bourbon
3/4 oz Honey mixture (in a 3 parts honey to 1 part water ratio to lower its viscosity)
3/4 oz Lemon juice

Since this is the first drink I have made that involves honey, I skipped the dilution and put in slightly less than 3/4 oz honey. I had trouble mixing the honey with the rest of the drink. My solution was to mix the honey with the bourbon first before adding the chilled lemon juice and ice. I served this and it was well received.

2 comments:

  1. That turkey looks wonderful! Also, that is quite a bit of cranberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is actually cranberry Jello salad. Thought it did go well with the turkey in absence of gravy or cranberry sauce. Half of it is still in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete