Thursday, January 21, 2010

My trip to Berkeley

Last week I went on a trip to Berkeley. I drove up on Monday and back on Thursday.

It would not be proper for me to talk about every single thing that happened and every conservation I had. Things people told me about family health problems, long running lies, ill received sex jokes, other people's drug use, mental puzzles about prisoners and a switch, and someone's latest crush are not the types of things I should be posting about for everyone to read. Instead my trip is best framed from the food angle as the story of pizza, red beer, and not getting what I want from restaurants.

Monday
I left home around 7:30 Monday morning. Taking the 405 North to the 605 North to the 210 West to the 5 North to the 152 West to the 101 North I exited and met Rohit in San Jose. We tried to eat at a Cajun restaurant, but they were closed on Mondays. Instead we ate pizza at Pizza my Heart. Afterward I got back on the 101 North and went over to the 880 North to the 24. I arrived in Berkeley and stayed at Sidney's.

Tuesday
Went to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art with Amanda and then the California Pizza Kitchen. After failing to reach the roof of a shopping center with Amanda, I saw Linda, Shirley, and the Associate. Upon reaching Tommy's Mexican restaurant and finding it closed on Tuesdays we went to Gordo's. Later we went to the Rock It Room where I asked for a red beer and was instead served an energy drink.

Wednesday
I went to San Francisco again, this time to see Monica and go to Ken's Kitchen, a Chinese food establishment. For dinner I ended up in Berkeley at Jupiter's with Carson, Sidney, and Monica where I was excited to order the Red Spot beer. However, they were out. So I ordered something I was told was similar to it. We also ate pizza. When I ordered a second beer I was told the keg just ran out. After Jupiter's I was still hungry and went to Skates on the Bay.

Thursday
Taking the same route south, I stopped to see Rohit again and we went to the Cajun place that was closed a few days earlier. There were some problems. The restaurant did not have Dr. Pepper, gave us the wrong menu, did not have the entoufee ready, did not have cornbread baked, and could not accept credit cards because of a broken machine. I took the 101 South to Santa Barbara to meet Derek. I said I was fine with any type of food except Cajun and pizza, as I had eaten both of them recently. We went to a fine Italian place. They had a weekday dinner special which included salad, lasagna, wine or beer, and dessert. I was pleased they had a Firestone red beer. As I explained my trip to Derek, he realized I had pizza three days in a row. Then I became disappointed I had not ordered pizza and kept the streak alive for a fourth day. Then I went to UCSB, saw Yinbo, and had a few potstickers he cooked for me.

On summary posts
I am not a big fan of writing long summary posts. There is so much that is left out or does not translate well across the screen. I started a post of a Las Vegas trip several months ago but I never published it because it was nowhere close to expressing everything I felt on the trip. I am happy with this post because it focuses on one aspect of my trip and does not have to tell every detail.

1 comment:

  1. That elusive red beer... perhaps the Associate will have one in your honor the next time we visit Jupiter :)

    ReplyDelete