Saturday, January 30, 2010

Some of my words and phrases

There are some words, expressions, and epithets I use in a unique way. As they come up I will explain how I use the words and their origin.

Associate
Term I use to refer to my good friend Chris Anderson.

The complete history of and list of similarities between my Associate and I merits a separate blog post. They are as simple as sharing the same first name and as longstanding as being friends since junior year of high school.

Examples:
I will have to direct you to my Associate as he is the expert in those matters.

Last week I went to my Associate's house to met some reptiles.

The mystery was so preplexing I worked on it with my Associate for several hours.


The term became prevalent during late sophmore to early junior year of college.


Unnamed geniuses
This refers to the collective authors of Wikipdedia. Since the true names of who wrote the different parts of articles is not easily known the contributors can be thought of as unnamed, even if aliased. The term has also been used colloquially to refer to Wikipedia.

Examples:
I did not see any references to non-Newtonian fluids in my lab materials so I consulted the unnamed geniuses and learned the fluid's properties.

I don't remember the exact date that happened, I will have to call upon the boundless knowledge of the unnamed geniuses.

According to the unnamed geniuses, you are wrong.


I think this was first used in junior year of college.


Thoust
This is a general purpose pronoun. It can also replace articles. The word has its origins in the Shakespearean era. The usage of thoust depends upon its context.

As personal pronoun:
I went to the bank to deposit a check.
Thoust went to the bank to deposit a check.

As possessive pronoun:
That is my monocle.
That is thoust monocle.

As an article:
As I alighted from the carriage, I found a sixpence.
As I alighted from the carriage, I found thoust sixpence.

I think I started using the term during senior year of high school, but it did not gain wide usage until four years later.


Phrases

The dining portion of this experience is concluded.
This means it looks like everyone is finished eating and we can either continue to sit and talk or go to another place. In practice, when I say this the person (or people) I am with stands up and we leave.

If I am eating with Derek he will not leave until I say this phrase.

our good friend
I picked this phrase up from my high school chemistry teacher Mr. Pucilla. To him everything was "our good friend."

Examples:
To solve this we will use our good friend demitional analysis.

We will then add our good friend potassium permanganate to the solution.

Other things I picked up from Mr. Pucilla are his famous phrases "life is choices," "let's be careful," and "test tubes are free."

No comments:

Post a Comment