Sunday, January 31, 2010

Two more appointments and a Saturday session

Since my last apheresis update, I have had two more platelet appointments.

The first appointment was exceptional for the speed at which the technician asked me the questions and did the examination of my vitals. Name, address, temperature, blood pressure, iron level, answer questions, sign here, and I was on to the actual blood draw in no time. This was the fastest of the 30+ times I have gone through this.

The second appointment was superior because of the movie I watched, (500) Days of Summer. I enjoyed it more than National Treasure: Book of Secrets from a fortnight before.

At the beginning the narrator states "This is a story of boy meets girl. But you should know up front, this is not a love story." I am going to steal this line the next time I relate certain events from my own life.

While I do not have a sister, if I could I would adopt the sister from the movie, Rachel. I love her combination of humor and insight throughout the movie. For example:
Rachel: Better that you find this out now before you come home and find her in bed with Lars from Norway.
Tom: Who's Lars from Norway?
Rachel: He's some guy she met at the gym with Brad Pitt's face and Jesus' abs.

That other session

The Saturday session I attended was about CPR. It was put on by the Huntington Beach Fire Med program. It covered CPR and choking for infants, children, and adults as well as using an A.E.D. machine. While I hope I will never have to use any of these skills, the A.E.D. looks like fun. Slap the electrodes on and let the machine be loud, annoying, and do the work. If you want to know what I mean, take a class like this and you will get the idea. However, if you don't use the machine correctly, you could turn a bad situation into a much worse one; electrical shocks can set pacemakers on fire.

I signed up for a couple of CPR class last year, but they were cancelled because too few people signed up. Now I know what to do in an emergency and have a card certifying my knowledge for two years.

1 comment: