Sunday, February 14, 2010

The first steps of RCIA

Last September I became involved with the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) program at church. I heard they had a couple of teenagers in the program and wanted some younger people to be involved as sponsors for them. I volunteered and was assigned to Philip, who is in his first year of college.

Every Sunday I attend church with Philip and he is dismissed with all the other candidates and catechumens after the homily to learn more about the scripture readings of that day. After mass the candidates, catechumens, and sponsors together hear a teacher from the parish talk about a different subject. Some past topics have included prayer, stewardship, the Epiphany, holiness, marriage, and forgiveness to name a few.

Before I get to far, I should mention the difference between candidates and catechumens. Candidates have already received Baptism and are preparing to enter the Catholic Church and become confirmed. The Catholic Church acknowledges "one baptism for the forgiveness of sins," so other Christians do not need to be baptised again. Catechumens are new to Christianity and preparing for Baptism and Confirmation.

I joined as a sponsor later in the process so I missed a few of the early parts. The unnamed geniuses have a summary of the RCIA process along with the steps and rites which can fill in anything I miss. The first part I was involved with was the Rite of Acceptance. I was part of this several months ago, so my memory might be inaccurate.

Rite of Acceptance

At the beginning of mass, the catechumens and their sponsors come forward. The catechumens express their desire to follow the Gospel. The catechumens receive the sign of the cross on their forehead, mouth, ears, shoulders, hands, and feet as a blessing. This is to open them up to God. The priest blesses the catechumens and asks the congregation to pray for and support them. The catechumens accept a cross to wear as a sign of their intention and journey while the congregation accepts the duty of guiding them.

Presentation of the Our Father

This usually occurs later in Lent, but for scheduling purposes it occurred earlier in our program.

There are a few Gospel readings where Jesus first gives His disciples the Our Father. Then, the candidates and catechumens are given a paper with the Our Father on it. Like all the other rites, the candidates and catechumens are accompanied by their sponsors, who have their right hand on their shoulder to show they are to support them.

Today (the last Sunday before Lent) was the Rite of Sending, but I will cover that later when I explain who they are being sent to.

No comments:

Post a Comment