Sunday, February 28, 2010

Proving a point that was lambasted

It happened in the last months of high school, or one of the first breaks I went home for in college. I think Christmas or spring break, but it could have been several months later.

I was sitting in one of the booths at the In-N-Out across from UCI. I was at the end of eating my Double Double combo. My Associate and Larry were there with me. I do not remember the flow of the conversation, but somehow fingernails came up. I said "I really like having long thumbnails."

My Associate burst into laughter. I was confused, as I could not see the humor in my comment. Between spurts of laughs, he explained the conviction in my voice for such a statement was funny. He immediately went back to laughing.

In fact, he continued laughing for over two minutes. It was ridiculous. Larry and I kept waiting for him to stop, but every time he was quiet for a couple of seconds he started laughing even more. It got to the point where we talked and just ignored him.

Aside from the fact I was at that In-N-Out last night, I bring this all up for a reason.

I cut my fingernails within the last week. Since then, I have said to myself several times "I miss having long thumbnails." I could be cleaning a pot I boiled pierogies in, cutting a piece of floss, removing a key from a key ring, cleaning a spill in the fridge, opening a box of Legos, or trying to unstick two Lego pieces. There were many situations where having longer thumbnails would have helped me. They are the next best thing to having a knife in your pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment