Friday, February 19, 2010

The Observance of Lent

As you might know, the Christian season of Lent started on Wednesday.

One of the great things about blogging compared to other media forms is the incorporation of hyperlinks. A person can link to a different section of his writing, someone else's writing, or a separate website of interest. For example, there are a few comments I could write about Ash Wednesday and Lent in general. However, I am too lazy to perfect what I want to say. Instead, I will link to a some words Amanda wrote on her blog. This accomplishes many things. The link communicates relevant information, makes my life easier because I do not have to write about it myself, and I appear magnanimous telling other people to read what someone else wrote.

Before I go any further, I will mention Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, a Roman emperor of the second century. It is great work and if you do not want to read anything too Catholic I would recommend it. There is even a Google book result for the work.

Below is a list of ideas of stuff to do during Lent.

Things to do
All of these should be prefixed or suffixed with everyday.
  • Pray a morning offering: Set a time, like right after you get dressed.
  • Read a section of the Catechism: Start at the beginning of the creed, paragraph 185 of what I refer to as The Green Book. After you get through the explanation of the first line the following sections seem trifling in length.
  • Pray the penitential Psalms: Learn what is special about Psalms 6, 32, 38, 51, 102, 130, and 143. I will even link to the first one to get you started.
  • Read a chapter of The Imitation of Christ: Take ten minutes afterward to be still and apply it to your life.
  • Pray the Rosary or the Chaplet of Divine Mercy: This is easier than pulling out a book and reading something new.
  • Learn the Pater Noster and pray it: The words and a chant are available a few places online.
  • Go to daily mass: Go one or two times during the week. It is better than Sunday mass.
If you follow one of the reading paths be sure to set a clear goal of how much a section or chapter is. It is better to stay on the low side until your habit is established.

If you are into reading grab a book and have it as a reserve project for Lent. The book is for any times you want to do more. For example, have Saint Augustine's Confessions at hand and if you are in the mood read a few sections. If you only open it up once in forty days that is fine. The book is there as one possibility for the times you have nothing to do.

Stopping useless habits
Habit is a very powerful force. It can advance positive or negative ends.

Before you check your email or facebook, ask yourself "Is there a reason for this?" If you are going to a website needlessly admit it. Say "I am checking my email even though I just did twenty minutes ago. This will not bring me happiness."

If you like any of these ideas, give one of them a try. If my suggestions are only mildly interesting, come up with something better yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I could make your life easier. I love The Imitation of Christ! I picked up an old, beat-up copy of it published in 1952 for $1 from a used book sale at St. Mark's (the Episcopal church across from the RSF) a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "Meditations" are great. What's most impressive is that Aurelius wrote the meditations during times of lengthy warfare. It's one of the most profound Roman primary texts I've come across.

    As for St. Augustine's "Confessions", some scholars have recently argued that the "memoir" began with Augustine. I don't know if I would agree with that statement, but I can still appreciate the honesty in the writing of the "Confessions".

    ReplyDelete