Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Flowers and Unique Things we See

When I saw this flower, I thought of more than a plant. I saw an entry point to a topic that germinated in my mind four months ago.

red flower outside my window
Do you want to see this flower? I can see it outside my window when I am in bed. It is less than twelve feet away. I have a great view of it. In fact, I have the best view anyone has of this flower.

The people who originally nursed the plant when it was a sapling have not seen it. The person who moved this plant to its current location has not seen it. Even my neighbors who own the plant and have it closer to their window do not have as good a view as I do. From their end the blossom is behind the leaves of the plant. In the last few days I have seen more development of this flower than anyone else.

In September when I was at Kim and Patrick's wedding I had a thought. At the ceremony there were over one hundred people. Most of them were relatives or had otherwise known one of them much longer than I did. Of all the people who were there only three had known them before they were a couple.

No one else there saw them in San Diego, when two normally quiet people kept talking to each other and laughing all the time. No one else saw the two of them together and wondered if it was obvious to everyone except them that they liked each other. No one else went with them to the Big Game hours before they declared themselves a couple.

Of everyone there I was one of two maybe three people who "watched their love blossom" (to steal the maid of honor's words).

Kim, Patrick, and me
Many people wish they could be where you are and see the things you see, but they are not. You are a witness to things other people can only dream of.

No comments:

Post a Comment