Friday, April 9, 2010

Anteaters and the Matrix Laboratory

I have a question for you. Why are these anteaters happy?

Happy UCI Anteaters

Their names (left to right) are Giant, Zot, Peter, and Ants.

These anteaters are happy because last week I started taking a class at the University of California, Irvine through their extension program. The class is MATLAB for Engineers. It is the first in a series of classes I am taking toward a certificate in Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Systems Engineering. This certificate program is different from a masters degree program. There is no application process. I simply sign up for the classes and start taking them. As a member of the Cal Alumni Association I get 10% off one class a quarter; these savings pay for more than half of my lifetime membership dues.

This first class I am taking covers the computer language MATLAB, which is short for matrix laboratory. The syntax is designed to make linear algebra and matrix related calculations quickly. My exposure to MATLAB was summed up in my introductory forum post for the class
Hello everyone,

My name is Chris and I have a little experience with MATLAB. I used it to measure nanoparticle movements and compute their velocities. The program had been written by someone else and I never had a need to modify or understand the code.

I am currently seeking employment and taking this class so I can understand any MATLAB programs I come across in the future.
In my short use of MATLAB so far it is a great language. I wish I knew it when I was taking linear algebra for the first time.

3 comments:

  1. GO ANTEATERS! That's so great, Chris. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their names, not there names. :-P

    Sounds like an appealing and constructive subject to study, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a failure on my part. Thanks for the correction. The post has been changed to reflect correct word usage.

    ReplyDelete