Saturday, April 3, 2010

The penultimate post on the Elect

The RCIA process is on the cusp of culmination.

I went to the Holy Thursday mass. At the start, three people (including Philip whom I am sponsoring) from the congregation brought up three oils. These were blessed on Monday at the Chrism mass, where the bishop blessed all the oil that would be used in the diocese for the coming year.

Each of the oils has a specific use.
  • Oil of the sick - This is used to anoint the sick.

  • Oil of catechumens - Everyone who is Baptized and people preparing to enter the church are anointed with this oil.

  • Chrism - This is used in Confirmation when a person is sealed with the Holy Spirit.
This morning, the morning of Holy Saturday, the day started with an 8:30 prayer service which included the Ephphetha Rite. Translated from the Aramaic or Greek (not sure which), Ephphetha means "be opened." Before the Rite was a prayer service which was very similar to the Liturgy of the Word at a normal mass. After a short homily, the priest called the Elect forward. They recited the Nicene Creed with the congregation and then father touched all of them, making the sign of the cross on their ears and mouths. The priest prayed the Elect would be open to hearing and proclaiming the Word of God.

After this there was a practice for the Elect, Candidates, and their Sponsors and Godparents. We walked through what would be happening at the Easter Vigil tonight and who would stand where when. We worked out who would be walking around with candles in the dark, how to Baptize people by immersion, and where to get them ready for the next part of mass quickly. When to say Amen, I do, and Peace be with you.

All of this brought me to thinking of the time I made my first Communion. I was in the second grade and one of eighty people preparing for the sacrament. We had a week or two of in church practice of standing, sitting, receiving, and processing. We even had crackers so we could practice correct form in consuming the Eucharist. In fact, every sacrament I remember making for the first time had a lot of practice. These people tonight are getting three of them and they have not had even a third of the practice I went through for just one sacrament. Even so, I think everything will work out well, even though there will be open flames handled by nervous people wearing robes.

Clarification
There is one thing I have not made clear in my RCIA posts. When I started the sponsorship of Philip in October, he already had a Sponsor and Godparents lined up. I was not there in a direct role like all the other sponsors, but only to attend the classes and teachings with him. At the start of Lent, Philip said he had other people (family members I understood) who would sponsor him. At first I was a little miffed that I was doing all the actual work and someone else would step in at the last minute. Then I thought about why I signed up for the program. I wanted to help someone who did not have anyone else to be there for him.

You need to understand, this was my mindset for the past 6 months. Today I asked Philip who would be coming to the Easter Vigil. He said he thought his sister would come but he was not expecting anyone else. Combining this with the absence of anyone else at the practice today, my reasoning leads me to say I will be his Godparent and Confirmation Sponsor. If so, I would be honored. However, finding this out the morning of the sacraments is unconventional.

Last night I was working on an art project, but more on that later. Tonight the Elect and Candidates will all receive Confirmation and Eucharist, while the Elect will also receive Baptism. The Easter Vigil starts at 8 and after the Vigil and reception I hope to be home a little after midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment