Friday, April 30, 2010

A Taste and Some Sips

This past weekend was the Taste of Huntington Beach. It is an annual fundraiser to support the children's part of the Huntington Beach Public Library.

Local restaurants have booths where they give samples of their foods. Some wineries and breweries also participate by pouring their products. People pay to enter the event and try all this food and drink. The profits of the event then go to buy books or other necessities for the children's library.

I bring all this up because my parents were involved with planning the event. I spent a lot of time make signs, picking up donations, and doing other stuff to be helpful. This is also part of the reason for my recent paucity of posts.

On the day of the event I had an interesting job. I was one of the official beer judges. There were seven breweries that came to the event, so I had to try the products all of them brought. This does not mean I tried seven different beers. Many of them brought multiple types of beer so I ended up drinking twenty different beers. These were all two ounce sips or less, at least they were supposed to be.

Earlier last week
While I am on the topic, there are a couple of other food related stories I will present.

To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Blizzard, Dairy Queen had a special: buy one Blizzard and get one for 25 cents. By buying a couple and bringing them home to share, I enjoyed the wonderful flavors of midnight truffle, Oreo cookie jar, chocolate covered strawberry, and Georgia mud pie.

A 7-Eleven opened a few months ago a few blocks from my house. To get people in the store, they have put out some good coupons. Last week I had a coupon for a free quarter pound hot dog. Since the clerk had trouble ringing it up (he originally charged me for the hot dog), he gave me a free donut. I walked out with a Big Gulp of Dr. Pepper, a hot dog loaded with onions, chili, and cheese, and a donut for the bargain price of $1.49.

Last week I went to Steve's Charburgers. While I have lived a block away from it for over nine years, I only ate there for the first time last week. I have been missing out, it was great.

In writing this post, I decided to look Steve's up online. One of the negative reviews was from a person who saw a complete disregard for health codes. Even after reading that, I am still looking forward to my next tasty trip there.

When reading these reviews, I was reminded of Arnaud. He is a student from France who was studying abroad at Cal my senior year. He would talk about the poor food quality at a couple of the Chinese restaurants in Berkeley. Arnaud talked about the rotten meat these places served. He would say all this as we were walking to eat there. When we got to the restaurants, he would eagerly order and eat the food. These were his favorite places to eat, even though he verbally trashed them until he finished walking through the door to order.

Arnaud's favorite place to eat was 145 Chinese (Chinese Express) across Channing from Unit Three. On my last trip to Berkeley in January, I discovered it had closed :(

I drank some beer earlier today, but I will need another post to erect the explanation behind that.

No comments:

Post a Comment