Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Fullness of Grace

The first thing I want to do is recount the entire Easter Vigil from last night. I started to, but then I realized how difficult it would be. The Easter Vigil is the celebration the night before Easter and it is the biggest and most elaborate mass of the year. It took about three hours. Check out the Unnamed Geniuses for talk of the Catholic Easter Vigil; they give it a good treatment. If you have any questions I would be glad to answer them. For this post I will focus on explaining the events around the sacraments.

The use of light is very important in the Easter Vigil. To start, everyone gathers outside the church in the dark of night. A fire is started and the Easter candle is lit. The Easter candle is a big candle almost six feet tall. Everyone follows the Easter candle in procession into the completely dark church. As everyone enters the church, they carry a small candle which was lit from the Easter candle. It symbolizes the light of faith in God they received at Baptism when they entered the church. The Elect (the people preparing for Baptism and other sacraments) did not have candles (or in the case of Philip, was not supposed to have a candle).

How it started and we got here
My involvement with RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) began in September. At the fellowship I was at they asked for people to be involved as sponsors for RCIA. There were a couple of teenagers in the program and the team was looking for younger people to sponsor these young people. I signed up and was assigned to Philip, who is 18. Since September, I have been walking with Philip in his journey to join the church. (This is the point where it would be very helpful if I used labels and tags for my posts. I could say check all the posts labeled RCIA and see the entire story.) At this stage in his journey Philip a member of the Elect, since he has been preparing to receive Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Communion at this Easter Vigil. After Baptism, he will be referred to as a neophyte or new member for a year.

In my last post, I explained how earlier in the day I pieced together the fact I was going to be Philip's Godparent and sponsor. It turned out my reasoning was correct and I was both his Godparent and Confirmation sponsor. Anyone who wants to can now correctly refer to me as a Godfather.

Baptism
After the Elect followed the Easter candle in procession around the church, the water for Baptism was blessed. Those to be Baptized were then asked some questions and responded with "I do."
Do you reject Satan?
I do.
And all his works?
I do.
And all his empty promises?
I do.
Do you believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth?
I do.
Do you believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, Who was born of the Virgin Mary, was crucified, died, and was buried, rose from the dead, and is now seated at the right hand of the Father?
I do.
Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting?
I do.
Each of the people was immersed in water three times with the pastor saying, "I Baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." After Baptism the Elect become members of the church and are properly called neophytes. While the neophytes were changing into dry clothing, their Godparents gathered at the altar. Instead of joining them as I should have, I went back and sat down in my pew. Luckily, as soon as I sat down the person in front of me drew my attention to my mistake.

The neophytes were then dressed in white robes as a symbol of their new and spotless nature after the cleansing of Baptism. Each of them received a candle from their Godparent that was lit from the Easter candle. The neophytes went among the congregation and lit everyone's candle in the church. This symbolizes how their faith will be a light to everyone.

Confirmation
Confirmation is based upon Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit descended upon the apostles. As the neophytes stayed around the altar, the candidates were called forward with their sponsors. After answering the Confirmation questions, which are the same as the Baptism questions, they all received Confirmation. The priest anointed the forehead of every person with chrism saying "[Name] be sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit." He then shook their hand saying "Peace be with you." Nearly 30 people received this sacrament.

Eucharist/Holy Communion
The last part of initiation for these people was receiving Holy Communion. After Confirmation the mass ran like a normal Liturgy of the Eucharist.

Afterwards
After the mass there was a reception. All of the people who went through first sacraments were surprised to find a poster welcoming them to the church and a bag of letters of support and congratulations from people in the congregation. A little girl came up to Philip and told him how she had prayed for him by name every night before she went to bed. This seven year old girl was preparing for her First Communion and had never met Philip before.

Before this, the most moving moment of the evening had been the first Baptism of the night. It was a person who used to practice Judaism. In embracing Jesus, he found the completion and perfection of the faith he grew up with. However, this acceptance is viewed as a rejection of Judaism.

That art project I mentioned earlier can now be explained.

RCIA poster
Art and me is a bad combination. However, finding clip art and mounting it on colored paper is something I can pass off as a creative enterprise. The RCIA team took scores of pictures over several months for these posters. The sponsors were in on it from the start, but it was a complete surprise to the sponsored.

How Long?
I have an answer for you. Twenty minutes.

Now the question: How long after a young man's first mass as a full member of the church does it take for someone to tell him he should be a priest? A lady who met Philip at the reception said she would pray that he becomes a priest. For all she knows he could be a mass murderer. If I remember correctly, it was Sidney who said he wanted a workshop at church on ways to tell vocation recruiters no.

The Sunday catechesis will continue through the Easter season to Pentecost.

Happy Easter to all, and to all a good night!

1 comment:

  1. I love Easter VIgil so much. It's wonderful that you were a sponsor. I want to be one some day!

    ReplyDelete