Sunday, December 4, 2011

Victory on the road against ASU

This weekend and last weekend I went on trips. Both of them were planned a few days ahead of time, involved driving to another state, and were fun. They were so interesting I broke them into two different posts.

This one is about last weekend. It was Thanksgiving weekend and I went to Arizona to watch the Bears play their last regular season football game.

ASU band opening A
Earlier in the week Sidney posed on Facebook saying he was interested in going to the game and looking for people who wanted to join him. I was interested, so I replied. Sidney and I have been on many road trips together and they always result in fun.

On Friday morning I left my house and picked up Sidney. When we were on the 60 traffic slowed to a crawl. Sidney pulled out his phone and discovered there was a six car pileup in front of us on the freeway. He then figured out an alternate route so I could exit the freeway and take country roads instead. I followed his directions and after ten minutes of driving I was speeding along the 10. His phone projected our new route saved us one hour.

We were going to stop near Palm Springs and check one of the outlets for Cal attire, but there were a lot of people. Apparently even at noon in the middle of nowhere on black Friday there are a ridiculous number of people shopping. Cars were parked on every street, people were selling spaces on their lawn, and golf carts were ferrying people from their cars to stores.

We got to Tempe about an hour before kickoff. There were plenty of spaces in our lot across the street from the stadium. After buying tickets, we walked around the outside of the stadium. It was on the edge of the ASU campus and downtown Tempe. We saw dorms, stores, restaurants, city buildings, a statue of Charles Trumbull Hayden, and some natural landscaping around the stadium.

We entered the stadium and took our seats. As can be seen from the pictures, we were at the top of the stands in the corner of the stadium. Sidney was his usual game day self, which is loud. We wanted to make sure the ASU fans knew the Cal contingent was spirited despite our small numbers. When the Sun Devils made their appearance, fireworks were fired from the field.

ASU opening fireworks
The game was a lot of back and forth. Each team kept scoring. With 2:59 left in the first half, California kicked a field goal for a 27-14 lead. After the kickoff, I told Sidney it would be great if Cal could hold ASU back so they would not score in the final minutes of the half. Sidney told me he would be happy if we had the lead heading into halftime.

With 1:02 left on the clock ASU scored a touchdown. After the extra point, ASU kicked the ball to Cal. The return team grabbed the ball and starting running. However, the person with the ball was hit and fumbled, with ASU recovering it deep in Cal territory. After a few plays ASU got a touchdown.

My earlier hope of stopping ASU was too optimistic. Sidney's goal of Cal being in the lead at the half was more reasonable, but still too much of a reach.

During halftime, Sidney and I sat with Michael, who we know from Newman activities. He had a good spot near the 50 yard line and the people sitting near him left during the first half.

The second half was more back and forth. There were penalties, great plays, and even a call that needed a video review. In the end the Bears prevailed 47-38 to finish the season 7-5. Next up will be a bowl game. If I get my hands on a picture of Michael, Sidney, and myself I will post it. (Posted on 12/10)

After victory against ASU

The field after the game.

Field at end of Cal victory
After the game all of us went to Chris's apartment. I know this Chris from more church related activities (at this point the game could be considered a Newman reunion) and learned about how he likes living in Arizona. The next morning Sidney and I saw Chris again and enjoyed a small outdoor food fair.

This was my second trip to another state to watch Cal play football. Like my first one to Oregon in 2007, I am glad to say it was a fun game to watch and the Bears won.

The trip was 788.7 miles and I drove the whole way. I went from my house to Sidney's parents' house to the 91, the 60, and then the 10. On the way back we stayed on the 60 until the 57 and took that to the 91.

No comments:

Post a Comment