Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Acknowledging what is done right

I will start with stories from the offices of people who wear white coats, my doctor and dentist.

When I saw my doctor a year ago, she was concerned. She said my weight had gone up from my previous appointment and that I needed to get it under control or else I would have health problems later on. This was the strongest lecture I had received from my doctor in over six years of being her patient. From this and my own concern about my weight I took action. I evaluated my eating habits, cut out a lot of junk food and empty calories, and started biking and jogging in earnest. The next time I saw my doctor a year later I had lost 20 lb.

In January my dentist told me I needed to have oral surgery. The exact procedure ordered was a frenectomy, which would cut a tissue connecting my gum to the top of my lip. The connective tissue was pulling my gum and exposing more of my teeth than was normal. I was also told to change my brushing pattern to stop the retreat of the gums. Being a good patient I went to the oral surgeon and had the frenectomy. I also changed my brushing style, which took a lot of mental focus.

As an aside, the frenectomy was my third oral surgery. Earlier in my life my wisdom teeth were removed and my jaw was sawed in half and then repositioned. Compared to those the frenectomy was a breeze, an out-patient procedure.

What did my doctor do after I lost 20 lb after her lecture? She said nothing. No acknowledgment of my efforts or results.

What did my dentist do after I had surgery and changed my brushing patter? Nothing. I had to ask her as I was leaving if my gum looked any better.

Things that are done correctly should be acknowledged, especially if future instructions will be given.

The last thing I want to promote is constant positive feedback for every little thing done right. I am not asking my doctor to give me a high five for not smoking a pack of cigarettes every day or expecting a cookie every time I brush correctly and have no cavities. However, losing 20 lb and having surgery are hardly common things that happen between checkups.

I do not want to be angry or resentful about this. Instead I will focus on acknowledging what people do for me. I will not take for granted the favors people do for me, but realize the effort and thank the correct people.

The best thing to say now is thank you for reading my blog.
Thank you for all the things you have done for me I never acknowledged.

No comments:

Post a Comment