Saturday, August 1, 2009

What I am writing about

I am trying to craft the voice I want to use for this blog. I will break up my different impulses and explain them.

Politics
This is what I have the most (actually the only) experience blogging about. I wrote over 100 posts for the Patriot blog and connected almost all of them to politics. I do not want to get obsessed with politics. Also, if I do start advertising the blog to my friends, some of them will get into arguments with me that I want to avoid.

Activities
I want to incorporate a lot of what I do on a daily basis. The places I go and the books I read are filled with fun and a great source of material. However, I do not want this to become a boring recount of what I do. There are already enough of those blogs online.

Feelings
There are a lot of things I would like to say about how I feel about people and things. Two dangers present themselves. First, a lot of them would be negatives directed to people around me. These include things like "my brother did X and it is so stupid, I have to fix it every time" or "my dad does Y and I can't believe he has managed to live his entire life without learning the correct way to do Y, how many of my things have to be ruined before he learns to do Y, I learned how to do Y correctly by the time I was 10 years old, it is not that difficult." This is bad because if someone I direct a diatribe at reads it s/he will be angry and mad at me. Second, I do not want to spend my time chronicling everything I am annoyed by. I want to focus on the good things and forget about the unpleasant ones.

God
There are two extremes. Either God is a real all powerful, knowing, and benevolent being or God is all made up. If the later is true, there is no place to talk about God here or anywhere in my life. If God is as described before, then I should talk about Him all the time and place His words and will at the center of everything I do. Since the blog is an extension of my life, God should be similarly present.

Useful Commentary/Funny Stories
There are a few useful things I know or learn that I would like to share. There are also some great stories that happen to me. The current title of the blog is "Stories from my life." People tell me I have good stories and I enjoy dramatically telling them. I will try to incorporate them whenever possible and include a moral or piece of knowledge if possible. I suppose I should mention, in feelings above Y = laundry.

Relationships
To paraphrase Fr. Charlie from an SMT meeting, people do not share anything about their romantic relationships here, if you would like to you can. I would like to write some things about girls I like. It might help if I did not think the friends of the girl I currently like the most will be among the most active readers of this blog.

Formatting and Presentation
I want to make full use of pictures, html tags, Photoshop skills, and maybe even audio editing. I am capable of making a unique theme and format for the blog, I just have to decide what to do with it.

Connection to other things
Do I want this blog to be easily accessible to anyone who wants to find me online? I can avoid the use of proper nouns that would bring this up in a Google search. I have not decided if I am going to put a link here in my facebook profile. When I am happy with how I am writing and how often I am posting, I will probably connect it to everything.

The blog is still in a testing mode. I am trying to figure out how I want to write and get in the habit of posting before I tell anyone about this blog.

The best thing for me to do now is sit down and type. Whatever ends up on the screen is what I want to talk about. I will see where this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment