Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A graduate program I will not graduate from

Last month I applied to a Masters in Engineering program at UCLA. It is designed for the working professional, but I contacted the director and he said I should apply and they would consider my application.

To cut to the salient part of this story, I was rejected.

The email had the line "Unfortunately, we can not admit you based on your major field GPA in Physics."

Considering I had a Physics GPA of 2.4, this makes sense.

Now I am going to ramble on to make myself feel better and remind myself I am smart and intelligent, even if my GPA implies otherwise.

When I was choosing a college, I picked the best school I could get into. UC Berkeley's Physics graduate program is rated No. 3 in the country (actually a four way tie for third by US News). I also double majored in Classical Civilizations. Rankings for Classics departments are hard to figure out, but the first sources on Google put Berkeley at No. 2.

I could have simply majored in Physics or gone to a second tier school and earned a much higher GPA, but I did not. I went to the best school I could, majored in two divergent fields, and graduated in four years. I also wrote for one of the best conservative student political magazines in the country.

If that is not good enough for UCLA's engineering program, I don't know what is.

On a happier topic I have some educational commentary from our heroes Rocky and Bullwinkle:
In Pottsylvania all schoolchildren learned the A, B, Cs, Assassination, Bomb making, and Conspiracy, with the occasional advanced course in Sneaking and Prowling.
This is available on hulu in episode 15 "The Fright-Seeing Trip."

No comments:

Post a Comment