Sunday, August 23, 2009

If you hitchhike across the galaxy, you must be out of your mind

Today I finished reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I received the book in a secret Santa exchange a few years ago, but only opened it up recently. My feelings about the book can be easily summarized:

I didn't like it.

The earth is destroyed, things don't make sense, the book is not consistent, there is no appreciable ending, and the nuggets of humor are not worth wading through the rest of the filler in the book.

In the novel, the Hitchhiker's Guide is an electronic book that is filled with information about the galaxy. It is first described on page 26:
"This had about a hundred tiny flat press buttons and a screen about four inches square on which any one of a million 'pages' could be summoned at a moment's notice."
Then on page 52:
"A screen, about three inches by four, lit up and characters began to flicker across the surface."
Is the screen four inches square or three by four? This item is so important the novel is named after it and it can't be consistently described 26 pages apart. Did anyone even try to proofread this book?

As if that is not enough, there is no resolution to the plot line at the end of the book. If you really want a conclusion, you could search out the four sequel books and throw more of your life away. I do not plan on reading any of the other books in this series and I recommend not reading this book.

The edition I read also included 93 pages of material talking about the making of the movie and interviews with the cast. The worst book I have read in the last few years and they include that many pages talking about making the dribble I just read into a movie.

Did I say I did not like this book? Of the last 30+ books I have read, this is easily the worst, and I like science fiction.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Douglas Adams
216 pages
8/20 - 8/23

No comments:

Post a Comment