Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My response to the swine flu

There has been a lot of talk about the H1N1 virus, also known as the swine flu, in the last few months.

My first response to this sensationalism is the same response I have when I hear about a new computer virus. I do nothing.

H1N1 is similar to other flu viruses. It is transmitted in the same way. If you want to avoid getting H1N1, do the same things you should do to avoid getting a flu virus.

These include:
  • Sneezing into your shirt sleeve instead of your hand.
  • Sanitizing commonly touched surfaces, including door knobs and avoiding touching your face if you do touch these surfaces.
  • Washing your hands with soap and water anytime you get close to a sink and before eating.
  • Avoiding close contact with people who exhibit flu symptoms.
I refer to these measures, perhaps pejoratively, as common sense.

Since some people insist on being in a state of frenzy and repeating the dangers over and over, I have had to implement a second level response to the swine flu.

Eat Pork!

I found a great recipe for Western South Carolina style BBQ sauce. This recipe is in a few different places online, I do not remember on which site I found it.

west-south-carolina-bbq-ingredients

Western South Carolina Style Barbecue Sauce

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion, minced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup ketchup

Heat oil in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté‚ until softened, 4-5 minutes. Stir in all the remaining ingredients except ketchup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, then add ketchup. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes.

I put this sauce on pulled pork I purchased at Costco and made sandwiches. They were delicious!

This is one of many different barbecue sauces. I will follow with more recipes as I try them.

1 comment:

  1. For an additional important announcement:

    If you wake up looking like this:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PxZyE6Jgabo/Sp3Lym817WI/AAAAAAAAGuM/MFPKaiZdvRw/s1600-h/swine+flu+alert.jpg

    You may have the swine flu.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete