Friday, September 4, 2009

Summer "Reading" Program

This past summer I took part in the adult Summer Reading Program at the Huntington Beach Public Library.

The last time I participated in a summer reading program I was eight years old. I also lived in a city of approximately 38,000 people, as opposed to the 192,000 residents here.

Before I go into specifics about the program, take a moment and think; what is the most important aspect of a summer reading program?

According to this program, it is not reading.

Participants are given a reading log to record every book read that is over 250 pages or every audio book listened to that is 4 hours or longer. For every entry a person receives a ticket for a drawing for one of six prize baskets at the end of the summer.

I might be old-fashioned, but I think a reading program should involve reading words.

Perhaps if I counted the hours I spend watching Stargate SG-1 over the summer I could have won a basket. If listening to an audio book is close to reading than watching a television show should be close enough for the purpose of the program.

If reading is not required in a reading program, where has it gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment